YORKSHIRE EVENT OVERVIEW
Wednesday 19th May 2021
FREE tickets are now available for the virtual event, which is being held on Wednesday, May 19. It will bring together more than 30 speakers who will analyse the issues, and educate and inspire you to bring about change in your business.
In the Circle’s Alec Walton said: “Sustainability, net zero and decarbonisation have become increasingly important agendas for businesses and policymakers.
“This is a must-attend event for business leaders and managers who want to understand more deeply how they can benefit their business and the environment at the same time, as well as provide an introduction to the many SMEs who want to be part of the change but are unsure where to start.”
In the Circle Yorkshire will feature keynote speakers, panel discussions and case studies as we showcase the organisations leading change across Yorkshire and set out how your business can benefit from being part of this positive change.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Mike Barry, who was responsible for Marks & Spencer’s ground-breaking “Plan A” initiative
- Prof Andy Gouldson, professor of environmental policy at the University of Leeds and chair of Leeds Climate Commission
- Steve Oliver, group chief executive and co-founder of musicMagpie
- Catherine Westoby, senior policy adviser at the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Gordon Rogers, head of sustainability at Yorkshire Water
- Henri Murison, director of The Northern Powerhouse Partnership
- Anita Lloyd, director at Squire Patton Boggs, specialising in environmental and sustainability matters
- Transport for the North’s sustainability officer Peter Cole
- Paula Widdowson, executive member for environment and climate change for York City Council
- George Graham, director of South Yorkshire Pensions Authority
More speakers will be revealed in the weeks ahead – to see the current line-up, click here.
In the Circle Yorkshire is a TheBusinessDesk.com event, in partnership with Squire Patton Boggs and musicMagpie.
“Tackling climate change has become a global priority,” said John Alderton, managing partner of Squire Patton Boggs in Leeds.
“The way businesses manage their environmental practices and processes is not only driven by regulation, but also by stakeholders – whether owners, investors, management, the wider workforce, customers, or suppliers – how well a business manages these issues has become a driver of value and will determine its competitive edge.
“In partnering with In the Circle, we are committed to working with businesses to help them address risks and opportunities as the UK government continues to advance the climate and environment agenda.”
Steve Oliver, group chief executive and co-founder of musicMagpie, said: “We’re thrilled to be sponsoring the In the Circle conference and to be joining together with other businesses that care about sustainability, to share ideas of what we can do as a community to help the planet now and in the future.
“As a business in the circular economy of consumer technology, sustainability is something at the heart of our company and we’re looking forward to hearing about how other businesses are tackling this fundamental issue.”
Event sponsors include Squire Patton Boggs, musicMagpie, Curveblock, EV3 Power, Harworth, Mott MacDonald, Orderly, and Whitecap Consulting.
It is also being supported by Transport for the North, The Northern Powerhouse Partnership, the IoD, Leeds Climate Commission, and Shine.